Our joy is great! Michael made it home on Thursday the 23rd of October. His flight arrived an hour later than expected. The children and I arrived to the airport on time which also was unexpected! (We sometimes affectionately refer to ourselves as the Late-merts.) With an hour to spare, we set out to window shop. As a seasoned veteran of parenting a half-dozen, I quickly decided that "window shopping" would turn into "touching" and that it would only get worse from there. We saw a little food court and decided to get a smoothie...
Being the frugal financial genius that I am, I quickly noted that it was a much better deal to order the large size and share, than to order six individual drinks. I knew that just one drink may cause sharing "issues" and opted for two instead. Now, on most days, the Ismert little people can share a beverage and take turns. I had neglected to take into account that it was 8ish pm, and we were all little balls of anticipation to see daddy. Mommy was able to keep the whining and complaining to a minimum, and there was some enforced sharing going on. Part of everyone's frustration was the difficulty of sucking the thick smoothie through the straw. This was compounded by the flattened ends of the straws, due to being bitten by cute little Ismerts. Have you ever tried to drink smoothie through the end of a flattened straw?
Mom to the rescue! We sauntered on over to the bakery counter to add a bit of sugar to the situation. We all picked out a donut, then someone said "I have to go to the bathroom." And then everyone said "I have to go to the bathroom." So, the four walking little people, the two youngest in the double-wide jogger stroller, and I found the nearest restroom. Miraculously, the jogger fit through the doorway. Ten minutes or so later, with empty bladders and freshly washed hands, we found a seat to enjoy our donuts. (I must mention here, that our precious brood of mini-people behaved very well, all things considered.)
Next, we were off to await Daddy's arrival! It was great fun to watch and wait as all of the arriving travelers walked by. We knew that Daddy would arrive at any moment. Excitement filled the air. Michael sent a text message that the plane had landed. Totally out of character for me, I replied "Sorry we are running late. We'll be there as soon as we can." I am sure that I smiled like a cat caught with her hand in the fish bowl. I couldn't hide my delight at feeling so clever. (Michael has to roll his eyes at home as I laugh uncontrollably at my own witty remarks!) When we spotted Michael he was walking while attempting to type a reply message on his cell phone. My little scheme had worked. Surprise! We were there. We spotted him first. The children were ecstatic! Daddy was finally home.
It took a few days after Michael arrived for us all to unwind. I didn't realize how much tension I was feeling while he was gone. I didn't have time to think about it. I had to keep going, no time to really stop and think. I feel so much better now. My mouth has healed quite a bit. (Thank you Jesus!) I don't feel an extra "load" of responsibilities that I am not used to carrying. Michael has let me sleep extra, almost every morning, and I am beginning to feel better rested. My best friend came back. The younger Ismerts seem more at peace. Thank you God for answering our prayer.
I mentioned in an earlier post that Michael may not be able to stay the six weeks that we had planned. After much prayer and attempting to wait out some glitches, God has provided a special duty assignment locally at a recruiting station. Michael gets to stay a while (looks like the full six weeks!) He has been working very diligently, during business hours and sometimes later, to prepare for requesting the Hardship Discharge. (I'll ask Michael to post on that issue). We are praying that God will provide this and spare us a nearly two-year-long separation! Please stand in prayer with us!
There was a time, just before Michael came home that I had lost hope. I had faith in God's ability. I was missing the "substance of things unseen." All of the news from Germany seemed so bad. It was bad. I almost couldn't even pray. I did pray, but I prayed without hope. Thank you so much for praying with me and for me. (Jens, I know that all of those prayers were the only things holding Michael and I and the children up.) Thank you to all for prayers, company, and the endless supply of helpers. Oh, what wonderful helpers! I could not have done it alone. I'm so thankful to God.
5 A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows,
Is God in His holy habitation.
6 God sets the solitary in families;
He brings out those who are bound into prosperity;
But the rebellious dwell in a dry land. Psalm 68:5-6
If it had not been for His word, I would have totally lost heart. This time, like no other in my life, the Psalms were such comfort to me. I truly did not live by bread alone...
3 comments:
We are standing in agreement with you in JESUS NAME!
Ismerts, so thankful for this answer to prayer GOD HAS A PLAN! Hold onto his truths of taking care of us, knowing what is best for us and that he LOVES US! The faith of the ARMY has been revived in this... ha! thank you Lord for your hand in this! We will continue to keep you in our prayers, call soon!
Love, the kreins family
We Love you guys! I can totally hear the bounce in your step! And the play-by-play w/ your crew is so enjoyable. You are being held up in prayer constantly on all sides, and we are so thankful with you about Michael's return stay. Thanks for keeping us posted!
Post a Comment