At a little after 2:00am February 25th, 2008, I received a call from Germany. Michael apologized for calling so late. He even offered to call in a few hours when it would be more convenient for me. (I don't suppose that he would have let me sleep without knowing the joyful news?) I assured him that I was interested in visiting with him. This is what I remember about our conversation...
Michael: I can call you back later so that you can get some sleep.
Sunshine: Oh no, honey. That's ok. What's up?
Michael: Well, I have four days to vacate the Post.
Sunshine: (really groggy) That will be fun.
Michael: (tentatively) Do you understand what that means?
Sunshine: (I thought a minute, I had assumed that it meant he had a four day pass (4 day vacation) to spend some time with us while we were visiting Germany. Puzzled, I admited) I guess not.?
Michael: They told me earlier today to make sure that I had my bags packed, and then they called me in and told me that my Hardship Discharge was approved. I have four days to vacate the Post.
Sunshine: (silence....) (tears) (sobs) Thank you, Jesus... (more tears and sobs) God heard our prayers, He said yes! (more sobbing, tears, etc... repeat)
Michael and Sunshine rejoice together and recount God's goodness!
When we ended our call, I sent a quick text message on my phone to as many cell phone numbers as I had programmed into my phonebook. Then, I tried to sleep some more.
Today has been a whirlwind. I have enjoyed recounting the very few details that I have with whoever will linger long enough to listen.
I am so grateful to know first hand that God will never leave me (or Michael, or our children) or forsake me. I more intimately understand that although I am unfaithful, that He is always faithful. I have doubted, and I have had faith, I have been weak and I have felt strong, I have failed and by God's grace, ocassionally I have held fast. God is not to blame for my weakness, but I pray that He receives all the glory for any strength that He has supplied to me.
It is the Lord who gives, and the Lord who takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.
I look forward to rejoicing with you at a celebration soon...
For now, if the Lord wills, off we go to a familly vacation in Germany. (tears welling up in eyes)
Praise God!
3 comments:
oh my gracious! I got your text message Sunshine this morning! Woo hoo! I am shouting praises to the Lord on behalf of your family and all of us who have been praying for you all! Thank you God for the army's discharge for Michael! I am so happy for you all, so relieved and grateful. I cannot imagine the joy in that house today! Oh what a great sight I bet! :)
I wanted to tell you how very touched we have been by being a part of this journey with you all. Sunshine, I especially appreciate and embrace your candor and your vulnerability that you have had and displayed to us through your blog, to your friends and prayer partners. When I read your posts I know that I am not going to hear you say, it is all good, life is great... oh Mary Poppins... Ha! Because really it has been possibly some of the hardest stuff your family has ever faced, and your lives have been difficult through this... I appreciate your realness, your perspective and words that you have shared with us all. Life isn't perfect, every day is not perfect, yes, we serve an awesome God, he is sovereign, but we are going through this journey of life, and sometimes, lets face it people, it is hard, we all know it. Even when we put on our happy face and sometimes "act" like it is all good, even if our whole house and family are suffering and possibly aching so much they are falling apart. I don't know of many people who would share what you have shared these past months, and I want to say thank you, bless you and it has been ( I almost hate to use this word but here goes! )refreshing, in a very deep way to hear someone whom I completely admire and look up to, to hear your vulnerability and weakness and your brokeness... and then on the flip side of that pain to hear your growth, your words of wisdom and the revelations that God was showing you through it... it has been very raw, very real. I wish more of us would be real and open with our brothers and sisters in Christ to support and grow through these times together... food for thought...
I pray special blessings to you guys, bless you. God speed to Michael, come home quickly our dear brother... have a great trip Ismerts, we love you all and are here for you!
Love you lots, in Christ,
Sharrie Kreins
Yay!!! We are all so excited and amazed at God for all He has done for your family. I am thrilled to see God at work today and it gives me faith for my family!
Woohoo! We're so excited for you all. What a journey this has been! We've been praying for your family and Grandma Vivian while you're across the sea!
Cathy Friesen (Warren Baptist)
Post a Comment